23 February 2012

Featured Artist: Laura Guida

Here is a featured artist post featuring another lovely person I met at the Etsy Selling Seminar back in November 2011. Check out Laura Guida's beautiful and dainty felt pieces and her vibrant silk scarves.

Felt and sterling silver drop earrings.

Felt and sterling silver pendant.

Felt and brass swirl brooch.

Green felt swirl copper and brass brooch.

Hand painted silk scarf. All Laura's scarves used steam fix dyes.

Hand painted silk scarf.

Hand painted silk scarf.

Hand painted silk scarf.


Here is some information about Laura's work in her own words:

I am a feltmaker and silk painter.  I like to experiment with a range of textile techniques though I often find myself returning to the wonderful textural and sculptural properties of felt, combining my hand painted silks with wool.  I find feltmaking a uniquely joyful experience, the tactile nature and element of unpredictability in the process appeals to me and makes each piece an exciting adventure to make.  I usually work with merino wool as this felts beautifully and is available in such a wide range of colours.  I feel drawn to strong, vibrant colours and I use these in my work.


My other passion is jewellery and my recent work seeks to combine my silversmithing experience with felt resulting in a range of colourful earrings, pendants and brooches.  Inspiration is derived from all around me, adapting colour and form from nature and also everyday objects.


For the last four years I have had the pleasure of being able to collaborate with Corner 9 Arts Project in London (www.corner9.com) working on a number of community projects and running both adult and children's workshops.  I have been able to share my passion for textiles and introduce people to the joyful and tactile experience of feltmaking.

You can see more of Laura's work at:
Etsy shop: www.simplysilks.etsy.com
Folksy shop: www.folksy.com/shops/SimplySilks
Website: www.simplysilks.com
Blog: www.laura-guida.blogspot.com

Photographs by Sumitra Sarma.